UAFS Summer Band Camp
The UAFS Summer Band Camp is a one-week exciting camp where students are immersed in the art of music-making.
- Students in grades 9–12. Students in 8th grade permitted with director’s consent. Post high school students may apply as well.
- Open to ALL instruments, including brass, woodwinds, piano, guitar, bass and drum set.
- Students must provide their own instruments (excluding piano and drums).
Activities and Events
- Big Band rehearsals
- Jazz improv sessions
- Music theory, listening skills, and songwriting sessions
- Small combo rehearsals
- Jam sessions at public venues
- Evening activities (optional)
- Master classes
Dr. Christopher Barrick, UAFS Dept. Head of Music, Saxophone, directs the Jazz Band Camp. He is joined by an amazing staff of teachers and musicians, including members of our own UAFS music faculty and professional musicians. This talented group will help you build your jazz skills in a highly energized environment.
For More Information
Dr. Christopher Barrick
- Housing check-in for residential students begins Sunday, June 25, 2:00pm-4:00pm. Residential students will stay in The Lion’s Den dormitory.
- Commuter check-in begins on Monday, June 26, at 8:00am in Breedlove Building, room 114.
- The camp runs daily June 26-30 from 9 a.m to 3 p.m.
- Optional evening activities include jam sessions, a workshop, and a choice of bowling, mini-golf and other cool stuff.
- The camp culminates in a final concert at 6 p.m. Friday, June 30, in Breedlove Auditorium (CD recording available for purchase).
- Commuter cost, which includes a daily lunch buffet in The Lion’s Den dining hall = $210. Typical lunch buffet includes pizza, sandwiches, salads, desserts, burgers and hot lunches.
- Residential cost, which includes meals and housing = $410
- Cost of the camp includes a t-shirt, which will be worn on the final day of the camp.
- Scholarships—$60 for members of All-State Band or Jazz Band;
$30 for members of All-Region Band or Jazz Band. Scholarships cannot be combined.
The registration form may be downloaded and mailed in with a check to: (PDF will open in a new tab)
UAFS Summer Music Camps
P.O. Box 3649
Fort Smith, AR 72913-3649 Or can be hand-delivered to:
UAFS Department of Music
Breedlove Building, Room 200
Registration deadline is June 19 2017
Applications must be received no later than Monday, June 19, 2017. To ensure registration, application must be accompanied by a $50 non-refundable deposit. Full payment of camp fees must be received prior to start of camp. The signed Medical Release Form, Release and Indemnification Agreement, and Photo Release must be received before the start of camp. The final date to request a full refund of fees (excluding the non-refundable deposit) is June 23, 2017. No refunds will be given after this date. Additional applications may be obtained at class.uafs.edu/music-camps.