479-788-7429 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. in English from the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville
- M.A. in Theatre from Missouri State University
- B.S. in Education (Speech/Theatre, English)from Southwest Missouri State University
I am an Associate Professor within the Department of English, Rhetoric, and Writing. I began as an adjunct English instructor in 2004 and have served in this current position since 2007 at UA Fort Smith. I work with the College of Education to create future teachers as the English with Teacher Licensure Coordinator. My teaching interests include English Education courses, American and British Literature, Composition, and Public Speaking. My research areas include American and British cultural and historical studies. I completed my Ph.D. in English from the University of Arkansas (Fayetteville) in May 2011. I have taught English, Speech, and Theatre at the junior high through university level since 1997 in Missouri, Oklahoma, and Arkansas. I also obtained a B.S. in Education (Speech, Theatre & English, 1997) and a Master of Arts (Theatre, 2002) from Missouri State University (formerly Southwest MO State University) in Springfield, MO.
University of Arkansas (Fayetteville, AR)
Field: English (American Studies, Southern Literature, and Culture)
Dissertation: “American post-presidential memoirs and autobiographies: Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S Grant, Theodore Roosevelt: An Autobiography and Jimmy Carter's Keeping Faith: Memoirs of a President.” Director: Dr. Robert Cochran
Missouri State University (Springfield, MO)
Thesis: ”The Effects of the Vandivort Center Theater on Business and Culture in Downtown Springfield, Missouri.” Director: Dr. Michael L. Mauldin
Missouri State University (Springfield, MO)
Bachelor of Science in Education (1997)
Field: Speech, Theatre, and English with Teacher Licensure
- Jones, Kevin L. “Digging Through the Stacks: Raiders of the Lost Archives” Fort Smith Historical Society Journal, vol. 41, no. 2, Sept. 2017, pp. 12-19.
- Jones, Kevin L. (Forthcoming) Editor/coauthor of Baseball in Fort Smith with Lynn Womack.
- Jones, Kevin L. (April 2016) “New Film Perspectives: Contemporary Adaptation of the Sherlock Holmes Stories: The Murder Rooms, Guy Ritchie, Mark Gatiss and Stephen Moffett: Twenty-First Century Sherlockian 'Faction,' Humor, and Loyalty." Conference Proceedings of the Baker Street Irregulars and UCLA School of Television, Film and Theatre: Sherlock Holmes: Behind the Canonical Screen. University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA. September 2012. Baker Street Irregulars Press, 2016.
- Jones, Kevin L. Review of unpublished article manuscript for submission"The Archive and the Making of Sectional Reconciliation, 1865–1880," Journal of American History. Feb. 2014.
- Jones, Kevin L. Images of America Series: Fort Smith. Arcadia Publishing, 2013.
- Jones, Kevin L. Postcard History Series: Fort Smith. Arcadia Publishing, 2012.
- Jones, Kevin L. “The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant: Grant in Missouri and Arkansas.” Fort Smith Historical Society Journal. vol. 35, no. 1, Sept. 2011: pp. 26-32.
- Jones, Kevin L. (Oct. 2017) Paper presentation, "Raiders of the Lost Archives.” Dusting off the Archives, 9th Sesquiannual University of Tulsa English Graduate Student Conference. Tulsa, OK.
- Jones, Kevin L. (Jan. 2016) Keynote. “Immortal Memory Speech for Robert Burns.” Fort Smith Burns Night Supper, (fundraiser for the Fort Smith Firefighters Pipes and Drum Corps). Adelaide Hall, Fort Smith, AR.
- Jones, K., Hall, G., and Fudge, K. (April 2010). “Teaching True Grit by Charles Portis as a Regional Community Text in Composition Classes.” Delta Symposium XVI: Region and the Politics of Culture. Jonesboro, AR. Jones, K.
- Jones, K. (Oct. 2008). The Role of American Autobiography and Memoir in the Construction of the Public Self. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Arkansas Philological Association. Fort Smith, AR.
- Jones, K. (March 2004). “The Federal Theatre Project as Propaganda During World War II.” Paper presentation, Mid-America Theatre Conference. St. Louis, MO. Chaired Sessions: ―Signs and Miracles,‖ Arkansas Philological Association Conference, Fort Smith, AR, 2008.
Other Scholarly Activities
- Jones, Kevin L. (Sept. 2016) Editorial Submissions and Conference Committee, UAFS Honors International Studies Program conference, Literature of the Hidden and Fantastic: (September 23-24, 2016) Dr. Michael Ward (St. Peter’s College, Oxford University), keynote speaker. University of Arkansas Fort Smith, Fort Smith, AR.
- Jones, Kevin L. (June 2016) Co-research, writing, and construction of Roots, Rhythm & Rock – Music That Moved Fort Smith: Second Movement 1945-1995. Exhibit. Fort Smith Museum of History. Exhibit opened June 30, 2016. Fort Smith, AR
- Jones, Kevin L. (May 2016) Co-research, writing, and construction of Roots, Rhythm & Rock – Music That Moved Fort Smith: First Movement 1880-1945. (October 15 - May 28, 2016)
- Jones, Kevin L. (March 2014—present) Co-founder/Volunteer Coordinator, UAFS Depts. of English and History/Sebastian County Circuit Clerk/Sheriff’s Office Archive Project. Continuing long term project which seeks to collect, scan, collate, and eventually distribute digitally and publish historic documents from the county archives, 1850-1900. Coordinator for volunteers, who are often students, two of which have been interns for the history department. Supervisor of budget requests, equipment maintenance, volunteer training, author of curriculum for training, and overall supervisor for on-site work at county annex and volunteers.
- Associate Professor: University of Arkansas-- Fort Smith (2014 – present)
- Assistant Professor: The University of Arkansas-- Fort Smith (2008 – 2013)
- Adjunct Instructor: University of Arkansas—Fort Smith (2005-- 2008)
- Composition I (English 1203)
- Composition I (Distance Learning English 1203)
- Composition II (English 1213)
- Composition I & II Concurrent Course Creation and Implementation
- Special Topics in Literature: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930: More than Sherlock Holmes (English 4903)
- History and Development of the English Language (English 3003)
- Writing and the Teaching of Writing (English 3303)
- Survey of American Literature 1865—Present (English 2793)
- Survey of American Literature Beginnings to 1865 (English 2783)
- Survey of World Literature I (English 2803)
- American Literature I & II Seminar (English 3034,3043)
- Intro to Global Literature (English 2013)
- Intro to American Literature (English 2023)
- Short Story (English 3223)
- Technical Composition (English 2227)
- Grammar and Language Awareness (English 3403)
- Literature of the Civil War: Regional Special Topics (English 4913)
- Young Adult Literature (English 3203)
- Teaching Shakespeare (ENGL 4913)
- Capstone (English 4993)
- Student Internship Supervision (EDUC 490A)
- Introduction to Speech Communication (Speech 1203)
- Full-Time Instructor/Lecturer: Missouri State University (2002—2003)
- Introduction to Speech Communication (COM 115)
- Films of The Beatles: Media Summer Course
- Roland Public Schools, Roland, OK; (2003—2008)
- (English Faculty, Director of Speech/Debate/Theatre programs, Humanities Faculty, Honors Faculty, 7th through 12th grade)
- Republic Public Schools, Republic, MO; (1997—2002)
- (English Faculty, Director of Speech/Debate/Theatre programs, Communications Faculty, 8th through 12th grade)
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Sigma Tau Delta
- National Forensics League
- International Thespian Society
- Arkansas Philological Association
- Fort Smith Historical Society
- Order of the Arrow
- Boy Scouts of America