World Languages Department
The Department of World Languages welcomes you to a new academic semester. Welcome, bienvenido, willkomen, bienvenue, irasshai, bem vendos, khong co chi, and hwangyong-hamnida.
Our department offers courses and degrees that help students learn and apply speaking, reading, listening and writing skills in the target language. Courses also emphasize the cultures of related regions of the world to assist our graduates to become global leaders. In our upper-level literature and writing classes students gain an appreciation of Latin American and Peninsular literature and film, as well as their historical importance. Graduates with degrees from this department go on to find employment in a variety of fields, from international business and education to translation and interpretation. Other graduates attain admittance to graduate programs across the nation and beyond. Programs lead to the Bachelor of Arts in Spanish and the Bachelor of Science in Spanish with Teacher Licensure. Minors are available in Spanish and Teaching English as a Second Language.
There are a number of exciting opportunities in store for you as a Spanish major:
- You are eligible to explore our Spanish Fast Track. This opportunity enables students with an advanced knowledge of Spanish to gain up to an entire semester’s worth of credit through a written and oral exam.
- Spanish Club and Sigma Delta Pi. Because student life is more than what occurs in a classroom, we encourage you to become involved with the Spanish Club and the Spanish Honor Society, Sigma Delta Pi.
- Azahares. A yearly Spanish-language literary magazine, Azahares is an award-winning publication sponsored by the World Languages Department. A valuable arena for creative expression, it provides students with the opportunity to gain personal experience in publishing their original Spanish poetry, short stories, art, photography and drama.
- Program Learning Outcomes for the Bachelor of Arts in Spanish. Follow this link to the Spanish B.A. degree plan.
- Program Learning Outcomes for the Bachelor of Science in Spanish with Teacher Licensure. Follow this link to the Spanish B.S. degree plan.
- Featured Spanish Alumni. Read about some of our Spanish program alumni.
- Faculty: The World Languages Department has a knowledgeable and enthusiastic team of faculty members to help guide you through your undergraduate studies. Hailing from various nations all over the world – including Mexico, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Colombia, and Italy – this team is dedicated to your success. You can also find us on Facebook @UAFS-World Languages Department.